Saturday, May 16, 2009

past lives

It's late again. I've had a headache for two days now..... the pressure of all the storms passing through Chattanooga this week seems to give me this pinching all around my eyes.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN. I feel like complaining.

I've had a lot of dreams of traveling to Asia lately. I have this little theory that is a good conversation starter.... I think a lot of people, for no reason really, can associate with a certain culture they have never lived within. Sounds confusing? I guess what I mean is, most people I know are a little obsessed with some far away culture they don't really know all that well first-hand; as if they just have some affinity for it. Like one of my best friends.... she cannot get enough about India, even though she has never been there. My mom is obsessed with Italy, even if she did visit. I personally feel very close with parts of Asia. I have always wanted to go to Japan, Vietnam, Nepal and Indonesia. I have no idea why. There is just something in the art, the architecture, the ideas and the history that gets to me. Movies set in Asia always get my senses rolling....
I think my theory also applies to landscapes. I know many people who just feel right at home in a very certain landscape, not necessarily the one they grew up around. I think some of this might have to do with our ancestry, though. Like my mom is at total peace on a cold beach with storms rolling towards her. My dad loves warmer climates. My mom's family is originally from Normandy (cold beaches) and my dad's family is from the Loire valley (sunnier part of France). Makes some sense. I love rocky beaches and misty air. I LOVE moss growing on rocks on the beach. Something about all those misty greys and then the pop of bright green..... makes my heart melt. I have no idea why, but I am always drawn to this landscape. I have never lived around it, though. And I have absolutely no love of sunny beaches and palm trees. Although I'm curious about Mexico.....
maybe I've just got wander lust :)

ok.ok. What a weird post. It is fun to ask people those two things, though. And to ask yourself. I found when I asked my parents, a lot of stories came out. It's like asking someone what their last meal would be (another of my FAVORITE conversation starters)..... the stories just start pouring out, and it's a good way to get to know someone.
Just a thought.

1 comment:

shopsmart said...

I find that I have always been drawn to landscapes that are similar to where I live but are located all over the world. I love the mountains and green leaves on the trees (not the rain forest). That is why I am drawn to Europe and Russia. Take the movie Cold Mountain. It was filmed in Romania yet the story was set in North Carolina. That gets me thinking of the types of animals and insects in other parts of the world. I picture myself being in those woods and I think of ticks and other creatures. Do they have those in Europe? Probably...(mind continues to wander from topic to topic).....